As one of the more unique roofing materials, metal offers homeowners a weather-resistant and highly-protective roof with a very high life expectancy. But like most roofing materials, metal roofing has its own drawbacks. One of the long-standing issues with the durable material is that it’s prone to fading or scratching as it faces harsh environmental elements. The purpose of this post is to help you understand the reasons of fading from your metal roofing system.
What is Fading?
Once installed on your roof, metal materials are painted with a special coating with a number of traits:
- Quality of hardness
- Applied cost
- Resistance to UV light
- Resistance to heat and fire
- Resistance to corrosion
- Economic and environmental impact
The coating of your metal roof is subject to fading the longer it is exposed to elements in the atmosphere and environment. As the coating pigment breaks down, the metal changes either to a darker, lighter, or completely different color.
Factors that Affect Fading
No amount or quality of coating your metal roofing is installed with will protect it from fading forever. There are several different factors that contribute to metal roofing fading, including:
- Temperature changes: Seasons in Nebraska offer changes from extreme heat to freezing cold in a matter of months, weeks or even days. The abrupt change in temperatures will to weaken the pigment in your metal coating by manipulating the color’s chemical makeup, resulting in color fading.
- Moisture: Fluctuating temperature changes aren’t the only factors that contribute to your metal color changes. Any kind of moisture will also alter the chemical makeup of your metal, especially when the moisture levels go from high humidity to extreme dry cold in the winter. The mixture of moisture with harsh pollutants in the air can affect fading or even your wall system.
- UV or sun exposure: One of the most significant factors in how your metal roof will fade is based on the amount or strength of UV exposure it receives. The hotter a day is or if your metal roof is exposed to strong UV light, the resistance to those elements will falter and your metal roofing will begin to fade.
Contact Our Professionals
Have you started to notice that your metal roof is fading or has become damaged? Contact Exterior Remodel & Design, Inc., to schedule an inspection with our metal roofing experts. We will survey the situation and provide the most cost-effective and best tactics to address the fade in your metal roof.